Sunday, December 6, 2009

The cookies that started it all...

While working on the second season of the TV show, "Crash," I found that baking helped me keep my sanity. And probably was the one thing keeping my coworkers from thinking I was a totally mean crazy person (hey, diva actors and producers demanding sold-out hotel rooms and seat assignments on Southwest will do that to a girl).

I constantly brought the results in. That was the best part for me--I got to bake it and have myself a little bit, and then I got to unload the rest of it on coworkers and avoid becoming a prospective Biggest Loser contestant. And the praise and compliments and thanks were always nice to hear. :-) People under that kind of pressure love their baked goods.

So, after the end of the show (for me--other folks were still working though), I had a little extra time on my hands. I'd been making basic stuff--chocolate chip cookies, banana bread, pumpkin cookies. Stuff that was tasty, but didn't require too many extra steps after it came out of the oven. As a last gift to the people who had helped me stay sane (you know who you are, fellow office people), I decided to make up a box of baked goods for each of them. And these cookies were part of it.


I had some of these leftover after I made up my coworkers' boxes. I had been toying with the idea of applying to a local bakery that had posted a help-wanted ad for a decorator's assistant. I submitted my application with a bagful of these little suckers--5 minutes after I left the bakery, I got the call asking me to come in for a trial day.

I did my trial day, and ended up being hired on not as a decorator's assistant, but as the bakery's new cookie decorator. All because of what had previously been a fun hobby for me.

So, now I've started this new career (quite a change from my last) and--even though it can be craziness at times--I'm already loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment