Sunday, December 6, 2009

The first ginormous order

(Disclaimer: Dear HP, please don't sue me for posting your logo--I just wanted to show off the cookies you commissioned. Since you e-mailed my boss saying you loved them and all. Thanks! Love, Cherron)

Not a week after I started at the bakery, I was told that HP (yes, the computer company) wanted an order of 400 cookies to celebrate the opening of their new branch or something here in ABQ (you can tell I'm real big on the details here). Luckily, they wanted then in two batches--150 packed individually in bags (above), then 250 on platters 2 days later.

The cookies were cut in the shape of NM, iced with plain white royal icing, then topped with a sugar sheet of the HP chrome logo.

Oh, sugar sheets...the love/hate relationship I already have with them. They're awesome in that, by using them, we can put nearly any image a customer would want onto a cookie or cake. they suck in that they don't handle the NM dryness all that well.

As can be seen with these ones. If you look closely at that one on the left, the right hand edge is all jagged and cracked. That's what happens when you try to cut them when they've dried out too much. They just shatter. So I ended up trying to rig a system using damp towels, parchment paper, and baking pans to make them more flexible to make them easier to handle and make them dissolve into the icing better.

This was only a portion of that order. I had some help in the form of our lovely cake decorator and one of the other employees at the bakery. I could never, ever have gotten it done without those ladies unless I was willing to put in some serious overtime and lose feeling in my right hand from all the bagwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment